Normal view MARC view ISBD view

Evolution saisonniere de la production de litiere et de la décomposition des feuilles dans une cacaoyere camerounaise

by Jones, E; Quesnel, V.C; Chalmers, W.S; Fordham, R; Iton, E.F. eds; Boyer, J; Murray, D.B; Cocoa Research Institute, St. Augustine (Trinidad y Tobago); 4. International Cocoa Research Conference St. Augustine (Trinidad y Tobago) 8-18 Ene 1972.
Publisher: St. Augustine (Trinidad y Tobago) 1972Description: p. 226-234; p. 226-234.Other Title: Proceedings.Subject(s): THEOBROMA CACAO | SOMBRA | COBERTURA SECA | HOJAS | MINERALES | ABONOS | CAMBIO CLIMATICO | MATERIA ORGANICA | NUTRICION DE LAS PLANTAS | CAMERUN | THEOBROMA CACAO | SHADE | DRY MULCHES | LEAVES | MINERALS | FERTILIZERS | CLIMATIC CHANGE | ORGANIC MATTER | PLANT NUTRITION | CAMEROON | THEOBROMA CACAO | OMBRE | MULCH SEC | FEUILLE | MINERAUX | ENGRAIS | CHANGEMENT CLIMATIQUE | MATIERE ORGANIQUE | NUTRITION DES PLANTES | CAMEROUNOnline Resources: Fr Summary: On an old cacao farm near Yaoundé with poorly developed natural shade, the total production of dry litter varies from 6 to 8.5 tons/ha/yr. It consists of 60 to 70 percent leaves, 23 to 30 percent woody material and 6 to 10 percent flowers and fruit. The seasonal distribution is related to vegetative and reproductive activity, as well as to the floristic composition of the shade trees. About two-thirds of the annual leaf fall occurs during the 2 to 3 months dry season. Fruit fall is more marked in the wet season. This type of light shade produces 2 to 3 tons/ha/yr. Altogether the leaves of the cacao trees are the most important constituent. They give to the soil annually 35-45 kg N, 3.5-5 kg P. 35-50 kg K, and 75-105 kg Ca. In the first six months, the loss in dry matter reaches 30-40 percent of the total. At the end of a year, it reaches 75 percent. The return to the soil of the major mineral elements is very rapid. Potassium is returned almost completely in 6 months. Calcium takes longer, 6 months to 1 year. Nitrogen and phosphorus, since they occur in organic forms, are aberated more slowly. In all cases, these changes are closely linked to rainfall. The decomposition of litter forms only a part of the "turn over", for the soil also receives minerals washed from the foliage
    average rating: 0.0 (0 votes)
No physical items for this record

3 tab. 10 ref.

On an old cacao farm near Yaoundé with poorly developed natural shade, the total production of dry litter varies from 6 to 8.5 tons/ha/yr. It consists of 60 to 70 percent leaves, 23 to 30 percent woody material and 6 to 10 percent flowers and fruit. The seasonal distribution is related to vegetative and reproductive activity, as well as to the floristic composition of the shade trees. About two-thirds of the annual leaf fall occurs during the 2 to 3 months dry season. Fruit fall is more marked in the wet season. This type of light shade produces 2 to 3 tons/ha/yr. Altogether the leaves of the cacao trees are the most important constituent. They give to the soil annually 35-45 kg N, 3.5-5 kg P. 35-50 kg K, and 75-105 kg Ca. In the first six months, the loss in dry matter reaches 30-40 percent of the total. At the end of a year, it reaches 75 percent. The return to the soil of the major mineral elements is very rapid. Potassium is returned almost completely in 6 months. Calcium takes longer, 6 months to 1 year. Nitrogen and phosphorus, since they occur in organic forms, are aberated more slowly. In all cases, these changes are closely linked to rainfall. The decomposition of litter forms only a part of the "turn over", for the soil also receives minerals washed from the foliage

Click on an image to view it in the image viewer